Sunday, February 3, 2008

Is Editing Useful or Not?

Is editing useful or not? I have been thinking about this question for the last week. Then, I suddenly remembered one of the bad memories that I have. That happened when I handled in my first lab report in biology last semester. I got zero in one of the questions even though I answered it correctly. When I saw my mark, I cried for a long time because not I had a low mark but I made the answer unclear. Since then I decided to make one of my friends to edit whatever I write even I am quite sure that what I have written does not have any mistake. However, having a good grammar, a compound structure, and a wide range of vocabulary do not indicate that the person will drive the correct meaning to the reader. These are characters that any writer should have them but having them do not mean you are a good writer. That is where editing becomes essential. If the writer wants to make his or her work clear and understandable, he or she must edit his or her work. The editing process should be done by another person in order to make the work perfect. Editing could be done in anything and in any field. However, writing is one of the most difficult things to edit and not any one could be a writing editor. It needs a lot of skills and experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you were not discouraged by that experience, and that you still remain positive about the whole writing and editing process.
I do think that editing is essential for good academic writing. That is why I hope that by the end of this semester, we all will have learned to edit our own writing, without anyone’s help. But for now, it is goog for us to be considerate regarding the editing of our work by others.
"The good writer is a writer, who does not consider editing as a discouraging act of criticism but as a useful help!" R.D.S.

Scott Douglas said...

It sounds like you learned a lot from your biology experience. Good for you!